After the World War, less than a year after Armistice Day, November 11, 1918, a small group of Wyndmoor veterans met to discuss the formation of a legion post. On July 1, 1919, a temporary committee was formed consisting of Authur Newbold, James Sullivan and Frank Ramsay. Notice was sent out to more than 100 men in East Springfield Township, calling for a meeting in July of that year.
At this meeting, Charles Knumbaan explained the purpose of the American Legion and a motion was proposed to establish a post in Wyndmoor, PA. A total of 39 veterans were enlisted as chartered members on July 10,1919. There names were:
James Sullivan James Rainey John Paul Frank Ramsay
Arthur Warga Samuel Paul Clarence Ernnst John Warga
Henry Paul William Fox Simon Radcliff William Chattin Werthrill
Joseph Timoney John Lease Aurtur Newbold Michael Rent
James Citti F.E. Newbold George Mease Milaro Jones
C.H. Krumbhoor Thomas Jones Louis Weishecken
Thomas Fitzpatrick Thomas O'Niel J. Hamilton Cheston
John Costello Roy Rineer John Ferguson Robert Fox
Charles Fisher Howard Martin William Wolf Thomas Donofry
William A.B. Paul Robert Beattie Charles Andrews Arthur Paul
Temporary officers were elected: James Sullivan as chairman and Frank Ramsay as secretary-treasurer. National dues were 25 cents, State dues were 15 cents, so the members decided that 50 cents per member would be the annual dues.
A temporary charter, designating the new group as "Post 100 of the State of Pennsylvania", was received November 11, 1919. It was suggested that the secretary contact Mr. Charles C. Savage and request the permission to name Post 100, "The Arthur V. Savage Post", in memory of his son, Lieutenant Arthur V. Savage, who was killed in action on July 18, 1918, at the battle of the Marne River in France. When permission was granted, the little town of Wyndmoor in Springfield Township had an American Legion Post named after one of its own heroes.
The first Commander was James Sullivan and the Adjutant was Frank Ramsey. For the first five years, the meetings were held in the homes of different members. Later, the meetings moved to the Wyndmoor firehouse.
Around 1928, two distinguished clergymen entered Wyndmoor: Rev W. Chester Hill of Grace Lutheran Church and Rev. John Lorenz of Seven Dolors Catholic Church. Both were veterans and served for many years as the Post's Chaplins. Today, the Grace Lutheran Church and Pastor Carol Fricken still serve the post well.
In 1930, a committee was formed to find a building or lot on which to build a post home. A building was purchased on Elm Street (now Ave) for $2000. The Post held its first meeting in its new home on August 12, 1930. To this day that building remains the post home. In those early years, in order to pay the mortgage, the first floor was rented to Russell Shirler, a lawn and auto repairman. A photo hangs in the Post showing the first floor as a garage.
In 1931, the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Post was formed and included the wives, sisters, mothers and daughters of Legionnaires. That year, Mrs. William Swearer was elected President and Mrs. Wilber Seitz was named Vice-President. From its first day, this organization has been a great help to the Post in fullfilling its mission to serve vets. In addition, they sponsored dinners, dances and other social events. The Auxiliary was reformed and chartered in 2006; now under the guidence of President Robin Bradley, it continues to supplement the good works of the Legion with help to veterans both here and overseas.
After World War II, the Savage Post, like many others, expanded rapidly as young men and women returned from the war. In response to growing numbers, the building was renovated. Today the upstairs features a large meeting room, Commander's office and storage and a modern kitchen. The ground floor has a full length bar, supply area and recreation area. A committee was formed and they had the Veteran's Park Memorial installed in 1947.
In 1998, the Sons of the Legionnaires Squadron was chartered consisting of the sons and grandsons of Legionnaires. This tireless group of men enable the Post to fullfill its mission by providing much needed support and manpower to get things done. Joe McGlade is currently the Squadron Commander.
At its peak, the Post had 309 Legionnaires, but the ravages of time have thinned the ranks to just 208 men and women today. When the Auxiliary and Sons and Social members are included, Post 100 has approximately 380 total members. Veterans of all wars are welcomed and hopefully Gulf and Afgan era vets will once again bring our numbers up. For the past 25 years, James Marlin Jr. has been Commander and the Post and it has flourished under his leadership.
Through the years, the Post has honored its tradition and lived up to the rules of the Preamble and Constitution of the American Legion and remains dedicated to God, Country and Community. The Post continues to work for veterans and help them achieve benefits which they deserve. Post 100 sponsors Scout troops and baseball teams and the community at large. It remains committed to programs that help the needy and assist those who are down on their luck. Its members volunteer thousands of hours each year serving Wyndmoor and Springfield by being firemen, mentors, scout leaders, blood donors etc. It sponsors an annual Memorial Day parade and Community Day attended by thousands of Springfield residents. It is involved in religious services at Grace Lutheran Church preceding Memorial Day and Veterans day. It provides the only Honor Guard in Springfield township to attend the funerals of our departed comrades. It sends delegates to District and Department meeting to represent the veteran. It provides comfort to vets in homes and hospitals and those deployed as well as their immediate families.
Many pages could be filled with the names of members living and deceased who have spent count less hours, effort and money in building Post 100 and all its worthwhile causes to its present level of success. They all have our respect and admiration.
(This history was compiled by Edward McGettigan in 1994 and updated by Ron Stone in 2017)